How do I request a public record?

To request copies of or inspect public records, you must make a written request to the Official Custodian of Records (Dean Watts). Sign the request, print your name, and describe the records (be specific, I.e. name, date, location) you wish to inspect or obtain copies of. Please include your address and phone number. Mail, fax or hand deliver your request to the Nelson County Judge Executive Dean Watts, One Court Square, Bardstown, KY 40004, (502) 348-1800;

  • Print and fill out the Nelson County Open Record Request Form
  • Submit the form:
  • Mail to the Nelson County Judge Executive Office, One Court Square, Bardstown, KY 40004; or fax to (502) 348-1873; or scan the completed and signed form and attach to email at
  • When applicable, provide a date range
  • Pursuant to the Kentucky Open Records Acts, Fiscal Court has three (3) business days (excluding weekends and holidays) which to respond to the request.
  • Records will be abatable. To pick up or view at Nelson County Judge Executive’s office, or mailed if requested.
  • A fee of $0.10 per pages and $0.40 per CD if you choose to pick up or have records mailed. We do not convert paper records into digital formats.
  • If your request is denied, Judge Executive will include a statement of the exception which authorizes the County to withhold the record, and a brief explanation of how the exception applies to the record withheld.
Nelson County Open Record Request Form

Nelson County Judge Executive Office
One Court Square
Bardstown, KY 40004

Fax: (502) 348-1873